Tuesday, September 1, 2015

WA Wildfires -How Bad Could it Be, Really?

We live in a fear-based society where media, often times, gets accused of blowing things out of proportion in order to compel us to go raid the local Wal-Mart for supplies to make ourselves feel safer. Those of us who have played this game long enough, are a little bit on the jaded side. If you're like me, you probably even punctuate the scariest things with a little humor, just to keep your sanity.

So, these Washington Wildfires -how bad are they, really? I mean, does it truly constitute a "state of emergency," or do they pretty much have it all under control? After all, it did rain the other day...

Let me try to put it into perspective. Sometimes, large numbers are hard to fathom in the allotted space between our ears, so it helps to compare it to something we are more familiar with. My family and I live on a 40-acre lot, out in the middle of a farmer's field and, I read a report on the KREM website that was talking about 30,000 acres that had burned up in just one fire.

That's about 750 times the size of my little postage stamp that, when I'm standing on a hill, overlooking it, looks pretty sizeable to me. Of course, that's only ONE fire! Another estimate, from a couple of weeks ago, estimated the total damages to 300,000 acres lost to the fires: http://www.krem.com/story/news/local/wildfire/2015/08/12/wildfires-have-burned-close--300000-acres---northwest/31585745/ -just bear in mind that that report was conservative and it's weeks old. If you'd like more up-to-date maps and information, to crunch a few numbers for yourself, try the website for the Northwest Interagency Coordination Center:
http://gacc.nifc.gov/nwcc/information/firemap.aspx

Probably the worst fate for a firefighter is, to stand helplessly aside and watch a fire rage. This is nearly a daily scene in this great conflagration. How devastating then, for a family to stand and watch as their whole community burns to the ground -not to mention, their own humble abode. And what of the children?
When I say the need is great, I couldn't possibly understate that any more. People need blankets, clothing, personal hygiene items, food... People need hope. I'm not trying to make you feel bad. I know there are those of you who are already doing what you can. I know there are those of you who are praying day and night. I know there are those of you who may have suffered losses of your own. All I am saying is, help spread the word. We are all in this together, and next time, it might be your postage stamp... or mine, that lights up.

THANKS FOR CARING!
AND THANKS FOR SHARING!

No comments:

Post a Comment