Sunday, August 9, 2015

Mark Finley: A Great Leader and an Above Average Guy

Recently, I volunteered to work Security, when "Your Best Pathway to Health," came to the Eastern Washington Fairgrounds, in Spokane, Washington. I was one of more than 1,600 volunteers, who shared their time, talents and investments, to bring FREE healthcare and dental services to under-privileged citizens in the greater Spokane area. My part was trivial, compared to the professionals, many of whom travelled great distances and paid for their own accommodations, and travel expenses, just to be a part of this massive gift. I was proud to be a part of this stunning act of love and outreach.

From my vantage point, as a security guard, I saw many things happening around me, that gave me pause to wonder -not the least of which, was the professionalism displayed on all sides. One man, in particular, stands out in my mind, and I want to introduce him to those who don't already know him from his decades-long work as an evangelist and point man for It Is Written.

Mark Finley, a man of many talents, not the least of which is humility. I have met celebrities in the past and, let's face it, with the wide exposure that Pastor Finley has received, around the world, it qualifies him as such. He is a man who might easily "rest on his laurels," as they say -and it is an impressive list of laurels, at that. But what I witnessed, was a man who gladly rolls up his sleeves to help those around him. I saw a man who treated each person, patrons and volunteers alike, as equals. He proved himself to be, not just a great speaker -but a great listener!

Pastor Mark Finley was never too busy to stop and listen to the smallest voice around him. He took the time to resolve issues, and, in many cases, head off a lot of "would-be" issues, by thinking ahead and proactively seeking solutions. He genuinely cares for people, and it shows in his treatment of them. He is also very passionate about "Pathway's" approach to evangelism. He sees this as an opportunity to reach out to many people who would otherwise, perhaps, never feel the love of Jesus. His enthusiasm was infectious and his professionalism was beyond reproach.

Overall, I was blessed by the opportunity to work side by side with all of my fellow volunteers. I was humbled by the massiveness of the project itself, and totally swept away with the reactions from the people who received this quality care for the price of showing up. I will never forget the experience. One day, I will be proud, as well, to say to my children and grandchildren that I met Pastor Mark Finley, face to face, and was proud to have him there as a fellow volunteer.

No comments:

Post a Comment