Thursday, July 30, 2015

Why I Like Van Etten Fine Arts -and why YOU should!

Sheldon Van Etten is a tragically overlooked artist with an incredible talent. I am self-taught, myself, and am pretty well known in certain circles as being a competent illustrator -but Van Etten, WOW!

I remember the first time I saw a Van Etten in person. The sheer attention to detail made it impossible to look away. I felt myself being drawn into the painting on several levels. The nostalgia for things I had never experienced (strange as that may sound, if you see one of his masterpieces, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about), the emotional connection to things that, on first impression, seemed so randomly placed together in the painting and yet, there was something so familiar.

Something tangible, and yet, mythical at the same time. This goes far beyond mere illustration. As an artist, I have a pretty good grasp on concepts like shading, rhythm, movement, perspective and action -but this, this is something more. Sheldon Van Etten can create a deep longing for things you've never seen before, strong feelings for things never felt and powerful memories of things never experienced.

I know, it sounds like I am babbling. But you owe it to yourself to check out his work -if only to see what I am talking about. If you do the Facebook thing, check him out there: https://www.facebook.com/babymuffy7 and if you want to see more, try looking at his website: http://www.vanettenfineart.net/artist-sheldon-van-etten-bio.php -still not satisfied, try this one: https://store1302125.ecwid.com/ .

You don't have to take my word for it, but if you become converted -why not send this message to others who might appreciate it?

Kaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment